Programmierparadigmen und -Sprachen, Compilerbau.
Lehrmethode: vgl. G. H. Hardy: A Mathematician’s Apology, Cambridge Univ. Press 1940: “One rather curious conclusion emerges, that pure mathematics is disctinctly more useful than applied. … For what is useful above all is technique, and mathematical technique is taught mainly through pure mathematics.”
Automated analysis of termination and derivational complexity of rewriting.
- Normalization of S Terms is Decidable (PhD thesis, and Best Student Paper award at RTA (Conf. Rewriting Techniques and Applications) 1998, Tsukuba)
- Matrix Interpretations (with Dieter Hofbauer, Best Paper award at RTA 2006, Seattle)
- Automatic Termination (invited talk at RTA 2009, Brasilia)
- matchbox termination prover. Winner of the SRS category of the 2007 Termination Competition.
Constraint Programming Methods and Tools for solving termination constraints.
- supervised PhD thesis: SAT Compilation for Constraints over Structured Finite Domains by Alexander Bau, ko-operatives Promotionsverfahren mit TU Dresden, 2017. (The CO4 compiler.)
Automated Grading and Generation of Online Exercises in Computer Science.
- autotool is used at HTWK Leipzig since 2003. System is documented by several workshop contributions, and is being developed by a grant of SMWK (Landesarbeitskreis E-Learning) 2010, and several diploma theses.
- organizer (with Bertram Felgenhauer) of ICFP 2010 Programming Contest
- technical organizer of Termination Competitions 2014 - 2017
- co-initiator, and frequent local organizer, of Haskell in Leipzig workshop series (2006 – present).
- speaker (2014 and 2017) and local organizer (2015, with Alfons Geser) for Intl. School on Rewriting
Conferences/Workshops (where I am in the PC, or organizing committee, or steering committee)
- Intl. Termination and Complexity Competition, associated with TACAS 2019, April 7
- 4th Intl. Conf. on Formal Structure for Computation and Deduction, FSCD 2019 (June 24-30, Dortmund)
- 27th Workshop on Workshop on Functional and (Constraint) Logic Programming, WFLP 2019 (September 9-13, Cottbus)
- Intl. Termination Competition (Oxford, 13 July 2018)
- 26 Intl. Workshop on Functional and Logic Programming (WFLP) (Frankfurt, 6 September 2018)
- Workshop Haskell in Leipzig (with Hackathon) 26 - 28 October 2017
- Intl. Workshop on Functional and Logic Programming (WFLP) (Würzburg, 19 - 22 Septemer 2017)
- Intl. Workshop on Rewriting Techniques for Program Transformations and Evaluation (Oxford, 8 Sept 2017)
- Intl. Termination and Complexity Competition (5-6 September 2017)
- Intl. School on Rewriting (Eindhoven, 3 - 7 July 2017)
- Leipzig Week of Declarative Programming (WLP, WFLP, HaL) (12 - 15 Sept 2016)